Dr Pascal Normand
Director of Research
153 10 Aghia Paraskevi
Athens - GREECE
Dr. P. Normand received his M.S. degree in microelectronics and microcomputing from the laboratory of Solid State Physics of the École Normale Supérieure Paris VII University in 1986. His M.S. thesis was on the study of misfit stress relaxation in CMOS wafers by X-ray diffraction (IBM France, Corbeil-Essonnes). He received his Ph.D. degree in Physics of Semiconductors from the National Polytechnic Institute of Grenoble in 1992. His doctoral thesis focused on the diffusion of dopants in silicon and SIMOX wafers. Since then, he is with the Department of Microelectronics (former Institute of Microelectronics, IMEL) of NCSRD, where he holds the position of Director of Research. Since 1999, he has been in charge of the IMEL research project: Materials and devices for memory and emerging electronics. He was the principal investigator for IMEL in the EC projects: Esprit/Fasem (Fabrication and architecture of single-electron memories, 1997-2000) and Growth/Neon (Nanoparticles for electronics, 2001-2004) with focus on single-electron memories and nanocrystal memory devices, respectively. He also participated in the EC project IST-FET/Fracture (Nanoelectronic devices and fault-tolerant architectures, 2000-2003) coordinated by IMEL and was co-responsible for IMEL of the EC Strep/Micro2DNA project (2006-2009) aiming at the development of capacitive DNA sensor arrays. He was WP leader in the Regional Potential EC project (REGPOT-No245940, 2009-2013), Micro and Nano Systems Center of Excellence (MiNaSys-CoE), which aimed at extending and improving IMEL facilities and know-how in Nanotechnology, Nanoelectronics and MEMS. He is currently in charge of the Excellence GSRT project "NanoWire Memory" (2014-2015). He has (co)authored more than 130 scientific publications (including 89 regular articles, 3 book chapters and 41 papers in international conference proceedings) and holds 6 patents. His research interests include the development of inorganic/organic memory devices, nanostructured materials for electronics, silicon nanotechnology and micromachining, as well as integrated sensors and MEMS.
- Dimitrakis, P. Normand, V. Ioannou‐Sougleridis, C. Bonafos, S. Schamm ‐Chardon, G. BenAssayag, E. Iliopoulos, Quantum dots for memory applications (Invited Review), physica status solidi (a) 210 (8), 1490-1504, 2013.
- C. Bonafos, Y. Spiegel, P. Normand, G. Ben-Assayag, J. Groenen, M. Carrada, P. Dimitrakis, E. Kapetanakis, B.S. Sahu, A. Slaoui, F. Torregrosa, Controlled fabrication of Si nanocrystal delta-layers in thin SiO2 layers by plasma immersion ion implantation for nonvolatile memories, Appl. Phys. Lett. 103 (25), 253118, 2013.
- Ν. Nikolaou, P. Dimitrakis, P. Normand, V Ioannou-Sougleridis, K. Giannakopoulos, K. Mergia, K. Kukli, J. Niinistö, M. Ritala, M. Leskelä, Influence of atomic layer deposition chemistry on high-k dielectrics for charge trapping memories, Solid-State Electronics 68, 38-47, 2012.
- V. Tsouti, C. Boutopoulos, P. Andreakou, M. Ioannou, I. Zergioti, D. Goustouridis, D. Kafetzopoulos, D. Tsoukalas, P. Normand, S. Chatzandroulis, Detection of DNA mutations using a capacitive micro-membrane array, Biosensors and Bioelectronics 26 (4), 1588-1592, 2010.
- E. Kapetanakis, A.M. Douvas, D. Velessiotis, E. Makarona, P. Argitis, N. Glezos, P. Normand, Molecular storage elements for proton memory devices, Advanced Materials 20, 4568-4574, 2008.
- P. Dimitrakis and P. Normand, Parasitic memory effects in shallow-trench-isolated nanocrystal memory devices, Solid-State Electronics 51, 125-136, 2007.
- V. Ioannou-Sougleridis, P. Dimitrakis, V.E. Vamvakas, P. Normand, C. Bonafos, S. Schamm, N. Cherkashin, G. Ben Assayag, M. Perego, M. Fanciulli, Wet oxidation of nitride layer implanted with low-energy Si ions for improved oxide-nitride-oxide memory stacks, Appl. Phys. Lett. 90, 263513, 2007.
- D. Tsoukalas, P. Dimitrakis, S. Kolliopoulou, P. Normand, Recent advances in nanoparticle memories, Mater. Sc. Eng. B 124-125, 93, 2005.
- P. Normand, E. Kapetanakis, P. Dimitrakis, D. Skarlatos, K. Beltsios, D. Tsoukalas, C. Bonafos, G. Ben Asssayag, N. Cherkashin, A. Claverie, J. A. Van Den Berg, V. Soncini, A. Agarwal, M. Ameen, M. Perego, M. Fanciulli, Nanocrystals manufacturing by ultra-low-energy ion-beam-synthesis for nonvolatile memory applications, Nucl. Instr. Meth. Phys. Res. B (NIMB) 216, 228-238, 2004.
- P. Dimitrakis, E. Kapetanakis, D. Tsoukalas, D. Skarlatos, C. Bonafos, G. Ben Asssayag, A. Claverie, M. Perego, M. Fanciulli, V. Soncini, R. Sotgiu, A. Agarwal, M. Ameen, P. Normand, Silicon nanocrystal memory devices obtained by ultra-low-energy ion-beam-synthesis, Solid State Electronics 48, 1511-1517, 2004.
- C. Bonafos, M. Carrada, N. Cherkashin, H. Coffin, D. Chassaing, G. Ben Assayag, A. Claverie, T. Muller and K. H. Heinig, M. Perego and M. Fanciulli, P. Dimitrakis, P. Normand, Manipulation of two-dimensional arrays of Si nanocrystals embedded in thin SiO2 layers by low energy ion implantation, J. Appl. Phys. 95, 5696-5702, 2004.
- A. Kanjilal, J. Lundsgaard Hansen, P. Gaiduk, A. Nylandsted Larsen, N. Cherkashin, A. Claverie, P. Normand, E. Kapetanakis, D. Skarlatos, D. Tsoukalas, Structural and electrical properties of silicon dioxide layers with embedded germanium nanocrystals grown by molecular beam epitaxy, Appl. Phys. Lett. 82, 1212-1214, 2003.
- S. Paul, C. Pearson, A. Molloy, M. A. Cousins, M. Green, S. Kolliopoulou, P. Dimitrakis, P. Normand, D. Tsoukalas, M. C. Petty, Langmuir-Blodgett film deposition of metallic nanoparticles and their application to electronic memory structures, Nanoletters 3, 533-536, 2003.
- P. Normand, E. Kapetanakis, P. Dimitrakis, D. Tsoukalas, K. Beltsios, N. Cherkashin, C. Bonafos, G. Benassayag, H. Coffin, A. Claverie, V.Soncini, A. Agarwal, M. Ameen, Effect of annealing environment on the memory properties of thin oxides with embedded Si nanocrystals obtained by low-energy ion beam synthesis, Appl. Phys. Lett. 83, 168-170, 2003.
- S. Kolliopoulou, P. Dimitrakis, P. Normand, H-L Zhang, N. Cant, S. D. Evans, S. Paul, C. Pearson, A. Molloy, M. C. Petty, D. Tsoukalas, Hybrid silicon–organic nanoparticle memory device, J. Appl. Phys. 94, 5234-5239, 2003.
- P. Normand, E. Kapetanakis, P. Dimitrakis, D. Tsoukalas, K. Beltsios, N. Cherkashin, C. Bonafos, G. Benassayag, H. Coffin, A Claverie, V.Soncini, A. Agarwal, M. Ameen, Effect of annealing environment on the memory properties of thin oxides with embedded Si nanocrystals obtained by low-energy ion beam synthesis, Appl. Phys. Lett. 83, 168-170, 2003.
- E. Kapetanakis, P. Normand, D. Tsoukalas, K. Beltsios, Room-temperature single-electron charging phenomena in large-area nanocrystal memory obtained by low-energy ion beam synthesis, Appl. Phys. Lett. 80, 2794-2796, 2002.
- D. Tsoukalas, C. Tsamis, P. Normand, Diffusivity measurements of silicon in silicon dioxide layers using isotopically pure material, J. Appl. Phys. 89, 7809-7813, 2001.
- E. Kapetanakis, P. Normand, D. Tsoukalas, K. Beltsios, J. Stoemenos, S. Zhang, J. van den Berg, Charge storage and interface states effects in Si-nanocrystal memory obtained using low-energy Si+ implantation and annealing, Appl. Phys. Lett. 77, 3450-3452, 2000.