Project Leader: N.Glezos
Permanent Researchers: P.Argitis P.Normand
Permanent Scientific Staff: A. Douvas
Post Doctorals Scientists: D.Velessiotis
PhD Students: A.Balliou
External Collborators: Jiri Pfleger, Stan .Nespourek, Samrana Kazim, David Rais (Czech Academy of Sciences), Ulf Soderval, Bengt Nilsson (Chalmers University)
Our research field focuses mainly on the investigation of functional molecules as core components of hybrid molecular-semiconductor and molecular-metal devices. Dealing with molecular electronic devices requires understanding of the electrical properties from atomistic to mesoscopic scale, precise control of the morphology of the molecular structures and the involved interfaces, as well as stability and device variability reduction. Hybrid devices on semiconducting and/or metal surfaces are a test bed for molecular layers, while they can be directly exploited for fast switching, diode and memory applications as well as for chemical or bio-sensors. By selecting the device topology it is possible to highlight electronic and electrical properties of the molecular components, realize devices (exploiting self-assembly and bottom-up fabrication techniques) that will function as non-volatile memories, switches or electrically gated q-bit devices and realize more complex structures such as hybrid networks that could function via bootstrapping heuristics. Specific objectives are:
- To investigate the potential of molecular materials to be used as active components in molecular devices e.g. as switching or memory elements.
- To develop consistent evaluation methods based on the electronic transport properties at the nano- level for the characterization of molecular few layered systems as part of hybrid devices.
- To produce physical parameters (film thickness, surface molecular density, contact potential) that could be cross-checked with other surface characterization methods
- To develop techniques for thin film deposition and characterization of molecular materials.
- Greek-Czech Cooperation Project, 2011-2013
- Greek-Sloval Cooperation Project, 2012-2014